On 01/02/2017 06:55, sean wrote:
On 2017-01-30, David Taylor <david-tay...@blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
On 30/01/2017 04:13, sean wrote:
Hi All,

I'm real interested in NTP and accurate time, hence why I'm on this
newsgroup. I would like to look into getting a time sensor and I hear
the Garmin GPS 18X is what some folks run unless they need much more
precision. Is this still a pretty well regarding GPS unit for pretty
accurate (I know that's highly subjective) time keeping? This would be
a hobbyist thing and I'm not running an important business, if you were
going to ask.

Next question...Do most folks here use the NTPD client, or it is a
mixture of Chrony and openNTPD? Maybe some folks just go with what ships
with their OS?
The comparison chart is pretty nice and lays each option out nicely:
https://chrony.tuxfamily.org/comparison.html

I think that's all for now. Feel free to provide any URLs to any
resources I should check out about time sycing, NTP, etc.

Sean,

I have been running NTP on multiple systems since 2002, including Linux
and Windows (2000 and later), both with hardware sync (GPS18, GPS18x and
multiple GPS devices for the Raspberry Pi), and with LAN and Wi-Fi
network sources.  I find NTP easy to manage and monitor over multiple
systems, and the fact that it runs on Windows, and can accept GPS
devices on Windows very valuable.  You can easily get within 10
microseconds in Linux (but be careful of the temperature and GPS antenna
location), and within 200 microseconds on Windows when using an attached
GPS/PPS device.

Hi Dave,

Thank you for the reply. I found your website about 3 weeks ago and got
the urge to checkout GPS devices, like the GPS18, Raspberry pi options,
etc. Thank you for it and all of the graphs. You certainly have many Pis
keep track of the time! I don't recall, are you apart of the NTP Pool?

I found your website to have a wealth of great information that's quite
well compiled and thoughout. I hope your health is much better this
year and that you're on the road to recovery.

Primarily I run FreeBSD and was surprised to learn that it can have
better precision than Linux, although the articles I read were FreeBSD
8.0 era. Do you find FreeBSD generic kernel comparable with Linux? From
what it sounds like, a Raspberry Pi with the device below will give me
"pretty accurate" (my words) time, which I can use to sync my devices in
my home.

   http://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/performance_ntp.php

For the Raspberry Pi:

https://store.uputronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=81

That's pretty well priced, cheaper than the Garmin

In terms of installations, I think that NTP will have by far the
greatest number, and of the three you listed, only NTP runs on Windows.

Well I don't really have any Windows installations, but I will keep NTP
in mind when I want to run time syncing on Windows. As an aside, what
does Windows natively use to keep time and sync?

Microsoft's own NTP/SNTP client, known as W32Time.  It has 3 major
operational modes:

- Triggered SNTP mode, where it is launched (briefly) from a weekly
 "cron" job, this is the default for machines not in a domain (because
 such machines also default to hitting the same overloaded public
 server, but the two settings are not tied directly).

- A regular NTP/SNTP mode with registry/command line options to set NTP
 modes etc., this is the default for machines in a domain (because such
 machines also default to using the W32Time on the nearest domain
 controller as its time source).  Instructions for switching to this
 mode are somewhat hard to find, to reduce the risk of dumb users
 enabling this mode while still using one of the overloaded public
 servers.

- A broken SNTP mode where various protocol details are wrong, this was
 a property of old versions of W32Time but is still mentioned in
 various NTPD related documents.

Enjoy

Jakob