On 2017-02-01, David Taylor <david-tay...@blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote:

> Sean,
>
> Thanks for your comments - much of the Web site is comprised of my own
> notes to remind me what to do next time!  Still waiting for one minor
> operation, and then to see if (or should it be when?) the Crohn's returns.

Well your self made notes for yourself have proven to have a rich amount
of helpful information. :) Keep the faith with your healing.

> Unfortunately I can't be part of the pool as my ISP doesn't offer static
> addresses.

I posted a followup whether a hostname could be used in lieu leui of an
IP address. I understand it can't change every few hours/days. Does your
changed that frequently?

> I don't know whether FreeBSD is better than Linux any more, others will
> need to answer that.  My FreeBSD box refused to update from FreeBSD 7 to
> FreeBSD 8, so I stuck Linux on it in desperation!

Wow, those versions are well before my time with FreeBSD. I'm not sure
if I'll be that concerned about the OS, and rather focus on the GPS
equipment you linked to below.

> Another low-cost device is the Sure evaluation board:
>
>    http://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/Sure-GPS.htm
>

> http://www.ebay.com/itm/SKG16A-Bluetooth-RS232-USB-UART-GPS-Module-Demo-Board-/230844194302

Thanks for the link! That's about half the price of the garmin and would
likely get me better precision than just syncing to the NTP pool.

> Windows uses NTP but not with the reference implementation, so of
> unknown quality, and not manageable in the same way.  It used to be
> lousy, and I've not tested since then.

I think I'll install the ntp client on my windows machine and see what
kind of time I can get.

> What will be good enough depends on your needs.  The lowest cost might
> be the Sure board attached to an existing FreeBSD box, running 24 x 7
> and in as stable a thermal environment as necessary.  Both the Raspberry
> Pi and BeagleBone Black are low-power devices and therefore low-cost to
> run 24 x 7, with the BBB having a slightly better Ethernet
> implementation if you need to get down to the tens of microseconds
> level, but with the Raspberry Pi have a much wider support even though
> it might offer (approx) fifties of microseconds.  Judge for yourself here:
>
>    http://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/BBB-vs-RPi.html
>
> If you already have an RPi doing something, adding a NTP server to its
> tasks will make little extra load for an environment with a thousand or
> more clients....

Incidentally I do have a BBB and a few raspberry pis. The BBB goes back
and forth to/from work so I won't be able to use that as the NTP host.

As an aside, have you done anything with SDR? You may be interested in
this:
https://github.com/flightaware/piaware