On 2017-02-21 07:58, Terje Mathisen wrote:
> Erdem Ersagun wrote:
>> 28 Kasım 2016 Pazartesi 16:19:51 UTC+3 tarihinde Terje Mathisen
>> yazdı:
>>> By far the easiest method to interface with a new clock is to write
>>> a SHM (Shared Memory) driver for it!
>>> There are multiple examples of people who have already done this, a
>>>  little bit of googling should find them for you.
>> Thank you for your reply. I should clarify my question:
>> We have already prepared our reference clock driver which uses the
>> address "127.127.47.0". 47 is not used in ntp-4.2.8p8. Now we want to
>> commit our reference clock driver to ntp community so that ntp will
>> provide built-in support to our reference clock just like Bancomm or
>> any other reference clock listed in ntp.h header file.
>> Is it possible?
> It is of course possible, but if you want the NTP Hackers team to
> merge it into the regular distribution and support it in the future
> then you first need to come up with some compelling reasons for why
> this particular clock is so unique that it deserves a custom clock
> driver.
> Do you provide hw latency measurement/correction?
> Single digit ns RMS error?

Maybe start by providing some background on your org, use case for the
card, design specs, driver development and use docs, measurements,
papers, availability, and cost: links are good.

If information or hardware is not available to the public, it will be
hard to make a case to add to the public reference distribution.

That's why most hardware developed behaves like some other existing
hardware, so they can use standard drivers for NMEA, TSIP, SHM, JSON,
PTP, parse, etc. refclocks or for GPSD and benefit from existing code
and support.

You would probably be expected to donate cards, and also servers (or
donation to purchase), and make man power commitments, to allow the
maintainers to perform testing of the hardware and software, in order
to be accepted into the distribution. This is similar to other open
source projects where vendors must make contributions over and above
the necessary software and hardware to maintain their support by the
project.

Driver maintenance seems mainly to be performed by those who have a
stake in keeping their hardware supported. As a vendor you would be
expected to provide primary support for your customers, and could
submit reproducible bugs, regression tests, and fixes to the project,
as can anyone who wants to participate.

If this is a private effort, why not just choose a nice high driver
number between 100 and 250 to avoid any possible future conflicts?
I believe you could also contract with or sponsor the Network Time
Foundation NTP project to do the work and include the driver in the
distribution, depending on personnel availability and other project
priorities.

To see where the development and maintenance effort is going nowadays:
look at the Network Time Foundation (.org) project pages, RFCs and
Internet Drafts being submitted, and security fixes about every six
months, as that is the normal embargo period before public disclosure.