There were a couple of reasons the name went this way:

- At IETF 114 there was a lovely bikeshed about whether "congestion
control" was the right name for this class of problems, so I picked
"response" which hopefully carries less baggage.
- I would like nontraditional indications of congestion to be in scope
(certainly beyond loss, probably beyond delay and ECN if we're creative
enough to do that). Speaking loosely, AQM fits in with this notion of
feedback. "Signals" don't have to be intentionally sent.
- An S-word fits the acronym :-)

I'll take two actions from this thread:
- make this scope a little clearer
- Open an issue to mirror Gorry's concerns about keeping AQM in scope.