We found that once we deployed certificate compression, we could typically
keep the cert under 3 packets, but without it, we typically went over.  I
believe one reason the QUIC WG chose 3 is because we had data to show that
most certificates were small enough once compressed to enable a 1 RTT
handshake.

I'd be curious what your results are with and without certificate
compression in your client?