I'm looking forward to
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-tls-cert-abridge-01

Certificate compression is probably enough to cut the costs down by 20% or so.
The numbers for that draft [1] suggest that we can get to around 50% the size
of an already-compressed certificate chain.

I'm not in favour of lifting the amplification limit until we have exhausted
those options.  PQ certificates might change that, but that comes later.  In
the meantime, PQ key exchange is more urgent and that will *increase* the space
we have available for certificates.

[1] Estimated:
https://github.com/tlswg/draft-ietf-tls-cert-abridge/tree/main/benchmarks