On Fri, 3 Mar 2006, José Matos wrote:

On 03/03/06, José Matos <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi,
  in Fedora Extras we build R packages to a temporary directory. The
relevant section in
the spec file is this:

%build
cd ..; R CMD INSTALL %{packname} -l %{buildroot}%{_libdir}/R/library

It works. :-)

We noticed one problem though (I will assume working on ix86 here) the
temporary build path is saved in
/usr/lib/R/library/*/Meta/hsearch.rds, i.e. for each package.

 Searching a little bit more I see that Peter Daalgard came to the
same conclusion one month ago:
https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/2006-February/086069.html

Yes, and his conclusion holds as well.

Please explain what the problem is. The first element of the object saved in hsearch.rds is a data frame with a column LibPath. This is not used
by help.search() after installation.

To see this is enough to run strings over these file.

Is this a security concern?

Why should there be any security issues about a non-existent path?

Does R uses this path in any way?

Peter was referring to packages installed with R. If they were used, no binary installation of R would work, so I presume they are not used.

In case the answer is yes, it is safe to run sed over this file and do
a textual replacement?

Not safe: the string lengths are encoded in the file.

Thanks and best regards,
--
José Matos

--
José Abílio

Brian D. Ripley,                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]