I encountered RMySQL issues recently, but ONLY when using 64 bit MySQL and
64 bit R 2.11.1

On my 32 bit machines, RMySQL works very well.

On my 64 bit machine, when using the 64 bit distribution of MySQL, the 32
bit R is not able to load the DLLs from the 64 bit distribution of MySQL,
and I can not find a 64 bit binary for RMySQL (or RPostgreSQL, and their TS
extensions).

It is not clear from Arijeet's message whether he encountered problems
because of unfamiliarity with normal use of RMySQL, or from being unable to
find the 64 bit binary distribution of RMySQL.  He doesn't say whether he is
running 64 bit or 32 bit MySQL.  In either case, the very first problem he'd
face is being able to get a 64 bit binary distribution of RMySQL.  That is
the problem I'm facing and which has me leaving all my R code that interacts
with MySQL running on my 32 bit machines until I find a solution (since a 64
bit windows binary will almost certainly be released at some point, I can
wait until that happens, relying on my 32 bit machines until then).  I fully
expected there'd be a delay between release of 64 bit R on Windows and the
availability of 64 bit binaries for some R packages

One of my colleagues encountered a similar problem trying to access 64 bit
MySQL from 32 bit R (on a 32 bit machine), and he resolved it by getting the
MySQL DLL required by RMySQL from the 32 bit version of MySQL with the same
version numbers as the 64 bit MySQL we are running on our server (and
telling R to use that for RMySQL).  But for 64 bit R, we need a 64 bit
binary of RMySQL and that I have not yet found (though conceivably it may
have been released since last I looked).

To take a solution to making/using a connection between R and MySQL a step
at a time, the first issue is how/where to get the 64 bit Windows binary for
RMySQL.  The next step, once that is installed, is how to use it, in which
case Spencer's answer suffices.

So, has a 64 bit windows binary been made?  If so, where can it be
obtained?  If there is such a distribution, then my current problem with
RMySQL will be solved, and Arijeet's may be solved.  If just being able to
install a 64 bit binary of RMySQL doesn't solve his problem, then he may
need a  more detailed elaboration of Spencer's answer.

Cheers,

Ted