Hello,

I'm sending this to R-devel under the guideline that the ensuing discussion would probably be unintelligible to people who aren't programmers. If that's not right, I apologize.

<http://www.r-project.org/Licenses/> says in part: "Some files are licensed under 'GPL (version 2 or later)', which includes GPL-3. See the comments in the files to see if this applies." This implies that there are files in R that do *not* have the "or later" language, and can only be used under GPLv2.

I've done some initial searches for files in the R source code that don't have the "or later" language, but haven't turned anything up yet. If anybody knows of any off-hand and could point me to them, I'd appreciate it.

Thank you,

--
Brett Smith
License Compliance Engineer, Free Software Foundation

Support the FSF by becoming an Associate Member: http://fsf.org/jf