On Thu, 28 Apr 2011, Duncan Murdoch wrote:

On 27/04/2011 12:55 PM, Brett Smith wrote:
Hello,

I'm sending this to R-devel under the guideline that the ensuing
discussion would probably be unintelligible to people who aren't
programmers.  If that's not right, I apologize.

<http://www.r-project.org/Licenses/>  says in part: "Some files are
licensed under 'GPL (version 2 or later)', which includes GPL-3. See the
comments in the files to see if this applies."  This implies that there
are files in R that do *not* have the "or later" language, and can only
be used under GPLv2.

I've done some initial searches for files in the R source code that
don't have the "or later" language, but haven't turned anything up yet.
   If anybody knows of any off-hand and could point me to them, I'd
appreciate it.

Package rpart is GPL-2-only in R 2.13.0, but is more liberally licensed in R-patched and R-devel. The survival package was GPL-2-only until R 2.12.1.

And all of this in the COPYRIGHTS file for each version of R.

Duncan Murdoch

Brian D. Ripley,                  rip...@stats.ox.ac.uk