On Fri, 29 Apr 2011, Dario Strbenac wrote:

Hello,

In my description file, I have an example data package in Suggests: that I've deleted from my library to test what the user who doesn't have it will experience.

However, R CMD check won't even pass my package :

* checking package dependencies ... ERROR
Package required but not available: RepitoolsExamples

Why would it have to be installed, if it's only a data package, that isn't needed in any of my code ? The manual also says "In particular, large packages providing “only” data for examples or vignettes should be listed in ‘Suggests’ rather than ‘Depends’ in order to make lean installations possible."

Why suggest a package that 'isn't needed in any of my code'?

I suspect that is a lie, and some of your code does use it: if some it is needed to fully check the package. There is a option to 'R CMD check' to enable the check to go ahead without all the dependencies, so please do re-read the manuals to find it.

Brian D. Ripley,                  rip...@stats.ox.ac.uk