On 11-05-03 12:43 AM, Martin Maechler wrote:
Hervé Pagès<hpa...@fhcrc.org>
     on Mon, 02 May 2011 11:55:08 -0700 writes:

     >  Hi, On 11-04-28 07:00 PM, Dario Strbenac wrote:
     >>  Hello,
     >>
     >>  In my description file, I have an example data package in
     >>  Suggests: that I've deleted from my library to test what
     >>  the user who doesn't have it will experience.
     >>
     >>  However, R CMD check won't even pass my package :
     >>
     >>  * checking package dependencies ... ERROR
     >>  Package required but not available: RepitoolsExamples
     >           ^^^^^^^^ confusing!

     >  Wouldn't a message like

     >     Package required for full checking but not available:
     >  RepitoolsExamples

     >  be more appropriate and avoid a confusion that we've seen
     >  for a very long time now?

Sure.  But such messages are already produced in current
versions of R,

Not for me. For example, picking up a CRAN package with a
Suggests field:

  http://cran.fhcrc.org/web/packages/AICcmodavg/index.html

Then, after downloading the source tarball:

  hpages@latitude:~/Downloads$ R-2.13 CMD check AICcmodavg_1.15.tar.gz
  * using log directory ‘/home/hpages/Downloads/AICcmodavg.Rcheck’
  * using R version 2.13.0 (2011-04-13)
  * using platform: x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu (64-bit)
  * using session charset: UTF-8
  * checking for file ‘AICcmodavg/DESCRIPTION’ ... OK
  * checking extension type ... Package
  * this is package ‘AICcmodavg’ version ‘1.15’
  * checking package dependencies ... ERROR
  Package required but not available: lme4

  See the information on DESCRIPTION files in the chapter 'Creating R
  packages' of the 'Writing R Extensions' manual.

Cheers,
H.

.. at least they are there in the package checking
source, see
        format.check_package_depends()  in
        src/library/tools/R/QC.R
which has e.g.,

       if(length(bad<- x$suggests_but_not_installed)>  1L) {
           c(gettext("Packages suggested but not available for checking:"),

and similar for 'Enhances' in lieu of 'Suggests'.

If Dario really uses R 2.13.0 (or newer),
and he gets the above error message for a package that is not
required but only suggested,
I think we'd need a clear, ideally simple,
reproducible example, here.

Martin

--
Hervé Pagès