"BTW: an ever more intuitive solution (IMHO) would be to auto-complete package names
in library( ... Deepayan?;)  That is non-intrusive and in line with the general use of
R." (Simon)

This is indeed a long wanted feature and to my surprise it actually already
exists!!! (seems that Deepayan did not tell anybody about it ;) )
The help page ?completion in the utils package explains how to enable it:

utils::rc.settings(ipck=TRUE)

It simply worked on my Ubuntu box -- and directly went in my .Rprofile :)
Hope this helps.

Renaud

--
Renaud Gaujoux
Computational Biology - University of Cape Town