Hi,

I actually adapted and integrated this feature into Achim's -- nice -- function (posted on r-help). Romain included it a couple of weeks ago into the bibtex package as function write.bib, and submitted the update to CRAN, but some NOTEs in the check delayed its availability on CRAN.
You can still install and try out the new version with:
install.packages("bibtex", repos="http://R-Forge.R-project.org";)

Keys for multiple citations are generated as "<pkgname>%i", which might not be ideal, but works ok though. It might be better not number the first (main) citation. Romain, I think I will submit a patch for this.
Hope this helps.

Renaud

--
Renaud Gaujoux
Computational Biology - University of Cape Town