Dear R developers,

(http://bugs.r-project.org/ seems to be down, so I am writing a feature
request here.)

It would be great to allow semantic version numbers for packages. See
http://semver.org/ for details.

The problem I am having is that I am setting up a nightly build server, and
there is no easy way to create a version number for builds that are in
between releases.

Ideally I would use something like

TAG+DIST.HASH

TAG is the last tag of the git branch, usually something like
MAJOR.MINOR.PATCH, DIST is the number of commits since the last release and
HASH is the first seven letters of the git hash for the commit. E.g.

0.7.0-pre+518.badcafe

Right now instead of this I am forced to use something like

0.6.999.518

which is a lot less expressive and there is no (easy) way to include the
branch information.

Thanks, Best Regards,
Gabor