Simon,

I think there is a misunderstanding here. I am not suggesting anarchy,
completely the opposite.

Semantic versioning as defined on http://semver.org was designed exactly
for being able to order the versions, and being able to express release
candidates, alpha and beta builds, etc. An example ordering from the
homepage:

1.0.0-alpha < 1.0.0-alpha.1 < 1.0.0-alpha.beta < 1.0.0-beta < 1.0.0-beta.2
< 1.0.0-beta.11 < 1.0.0-rc.1 < 1.0.0.

Currently there is no way to give a version number to my builds that are in
between releases. Having multiple branches of development is even more
problematic.

My problem is not that I am forced to use something meaningful. My problem
is that the system I am forced to use is not expressive enough.

Hope it is clearer now.
Gabor