Adrian,

R isn't really designed to use multiple versions of the same package in the
same R session. To do what you want you'll need to unload one version of
the package before you load the next, which will work some percentage of
the time between 50 and 100 ("usually"), but when it can be done it is
relatively easy to do.

 Packages with C code will give you problems, or at least they used to. I
haven't tried recently.  See Prof Ripley's response here: See
https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-devel/2009-February/052229.html

For packages that can be unloaded/reloaded safely, is there a reason you
can't just use the existing example function with two different library
locations (lib.loc argument) with the two package versions installed?

~G

Gabriel Becker
Graduate Student
Statistics Department