On 25/12/2017 7:00 AM, Iñaki Úcar wrote:
The one negative aspect of Winston's effort is caused by this weakness. If
you tell me that something happened in revision 73909, I know it was recent.
If you tell me that something appeared in commit 2e80059, it wastes my time
looking up that commit and putting it in context.

The output from "git describe" is something similar to an svn
revision: it describes the number of commits since the previous
annotated tag. Something like <tag_name>-<#commits>-g<commit_hash>,
e.g., v3.5.0-56-1234567.

But we're not using git, we're just sending emails back and forth. I don't need to run svn to get some useful information from the number 73909. Winston's web page at https://github.com/wch/r-source/commit/2e80059 does display the number 73909 if you know where to look, but his email doesn't contain it.

I don't know about other svn users, but I'd be perfectly content to read something like "This appears to have been added in rev 73909 (diff shown here: https://github.com/wch/r-source/commit/2e80059)."

Duncan Murdoch