Spencer,

you could argue that Java is dead since Oracle effectively killed it by
removing all public downloads, but if you manage to get hold of a Java
installation then it works just fine with R. To my best knowledge there has
never been an issue if you installed rJava from source. macOS Catalina has made
binary distributions impossible due to additional restrictions on run-time, but
even that has been how solved with the release of rJava 0.9-12, so please make
sure you use the latest rJava. In most cases that I have seen issues were
caused by incorrect configuration (setting JAVA_HOME incorrectly [do NOT set it
unless you know what you're doing!], not installing Java for the same
architecture as R etc.). If you have any issues feel free to report them. rJava
0.9-12 has quite a few changes that try to detect user errors better and report
them so I strongly suggest users to upgrade.

Cheers,
Simon