Simon,

Java is still one of the most popular languages out there, in
particular in large organizations. See e.g.
https://www.tiobe.com/tiobe-index/ . However, there has been a lot of
confusion because of Oracle's licencing change in 2019. But the good
news is, there are more alternatives than ever. See e.g.
https://labs.consol.de/development/2019/02/05/oracle-license-is-the-free-lunch-over.html
. And also Oracle has a very interesting new VM significantly
improving startup time, the community edition is under GPL-2. See
https://www.graalvm.org/ .

Cheers,
Adrian

Adrian Trapletti

Steinstrasse 9b, 8610 Uster, Switzerland
P +41 44 994 56 30  |  M +41 79 103 71 31
adr...@trapletti.org  |  www.trapletti.org