It wasn't the merge command. It doesn't create the variable x3.

CecĂ­lia

Em Fri, 20 Aug 2010 09:22:29 -0400
 Gabor Grothendieck <ggrothendi...@gmail.com> escreveu:
On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 9:07 AM, Cecilia Carmo <cecilia.ca...@ua.pt> wrote:
This is what I need, but my dataframe has many rows and it returns to me the
following message:

Error: cannot allocate vector of size 120 Kb
In addition: There were 18 warnings (use warnings() to see them)

Assuming that its the merge command that generated the error try this
sqldf instead of the merge line:

library(sqldf)
sqldf("select * from x, y using(k1, k3)", dbname = tempfile())

You can also try it without dbname = tempfile() but that has a higher
chance of overflowing memory.
See http://sqldf.googlecode.com for more info on sqldf.