Hi all,

I am having trouble assigning a value within a vector using a variable
defined within a function.  I suspect this has something to do with
namespaces but I cannot figure it out.  Please reply directly to me if you
can help.

###begin code
#simple vector
test<-c(4,5,6)

#simple function to get a value from a vector
#works just like I would expect, has no problem indexing using the local
function variable name "index"

getvalue<-function(index){
print(test[index])
}
getvalue(2)

#another simple function to update the value in a vector
update<-function(index){
test[index]<- 20
}
update(2)
test
#The update() function silently fails to accomplish the update
###

I don't understand why the function has no problem accessing the value, but
cannot accomplish the assignment.  I need to be able to update vectors using
index values which I pass from within a function.

Thanks for your help.

Andrew Barr