Hello Folks,

I do hope this is the correct place to post (and not in R-SIG-DB).  I have
spent the better part of a day searching for an answer to this question, and
have yet to resolve it.

I am trying to query an .accdb Access database (with 32-bit Office 2007
currently residing on the machine) with 64-bit R via RODBC.  There seem to
be some conflicting accounts as to whether or not this is possible.
Ripley's ODBC Connectivity PDF and the odbcConnect docs indicate it is not
possible (copied below for reference).  However, this thread (
http://r.789695.n4.nabble.com/RODBC-Access-Excel-driver-location-for-64-bit-Win7-td2542550.html)
seems to indicate that it may be possible by using
c:\windows\sysWOW64\odbcad32.exe:
"For 64-bit WIn 7, I needed to use the ODBC in
c:\windows\sysWOW64\odbcad32.exe. I configured RODBC in the 'usual' way for
the 64-bit ODBC (i.e., per the R Import/Export manual) and everything is
fine."

I have tried creating DSN's using c:\windows\sysWOW64\odbcad32.exe and
referencing those with RODBC, but I come up with errors:

> library(RODBC);
> channel <- odbcConnect("myDSN");
Warning messages:
1: In odbcDriverConnect("DSN=myDSN") :
  [RODBC] ERROR: state IM014, code 0, message [Microsoft][ODBC Driver
Manager] The specified DSN contains an architecture mismatch between the
Driver and Application
2: In odbcDriverConnect("DSN=myDSN") : ODBC connection failed

If anyone knows any more about this issue, I would be grateful for the
information!

Thanks,
Allie

R 2.12.0
Windows 7 Pro x64
Access 2007

from Ripley's ODBC Connectivity
"32-bit Windows drivers for Access 2007 and Excel 2007 are bundled with
Office 2007 but can be installed separately via the installer
AccessDatabaseEngine.exe available from .... The Access/Excel 2010 versions
at ... have a 64-bit version: however the 64-bit drivers cannot be installed
alongside 32-bit versions of Office (as far as we know, and defnitely not
for Office 2007)."

odbcConnect docs:
"You must have the 32-bit drivers when using 32-bit R and the 64-bit drivers
when using 64-bit R: otherwise there will be a cryptic message about a
driver not being found. And the 64-bit drivers cannot be installed alongside
32-bit Microsoft Office, and vice versa."