Hi:

Since I'm the culprit of that post, is your Access database on your 64-bit
machine or is it on a remote server? In my case, I have 32-bit MySQL on a
64-bit Win7 system and I've used RODBC several times to upload a file to R,
but it was to 32-bit R (I just checked to be sure). It doesn't work on
64-bit R.  [See below for the transcript.]

The comments in the post to which you referred concerned how to set up ODBC
on a 64-bit system when one had a 32-bit database and 32-bit R. To access
the right ODBC for that setup, you have to grab it from the directory
mentioned in the post. As mentioned there, I put a shortcut to it on my
desktop so I don't have to go on a fishing expedition to find it again. As
far as I can tell, there has to be coordination among R, the database and
ODBC in the sense that they all must be 32-bit or all 64-bit.

Since I don't use databases all that often, my dodge is to read the files in
with 32-bit R, save them as R binaries and then work with those in 64-bit R
- but I've got enough disk space and RAM to afford to do that. Your mileage
may vary.

64-bit R:
> library(RODBC)
> ch <- odbcConnect('gameday10', uid = 'dennis', pwd = '')
Warning messages:
1: In odbcDriverConnect("DSN=gameday10;UID=dennis") :
  [RODBC] ERROR: state IM014, code 0, message [Microsoft][ODBC Driver
Manager] The specified DSN contains an architecture mismatch between the
Driver and Application
2: In odbcDriverConnect("DSN=gameday10;UID=dennis") :
  ODBC connection failed

32-bit R:
> library(RODBC)
> ch <- odbcConnect('gameday10', uid = 'dennis', pwd = '')
> sqlTables(ch)
  TABLE_CAT TABLE_SCHEM TABLE_NAME TABLE_TYPE REMARKS
1 gameday10                  atbat      TABLE

Hope this clarifies matters somewhat.

Dennis