Dear Kevin

Just had the same "problem", that is, placed the NEWS.Rd in
the package inst/ directory, and the news() function did not
find the information. The help page for news() is, however,
pretty clear:

"..., if the given add-on package can be found
in the given libraries, it is attempted to read its news in
structured form from files 'inst/NEWS.Rd', 'NEWS' or 'inst/NEWS'
(in that order)."

Hence, installing NEWS.Rd in an inst/ directory works fine.
I have no idea if an installed package should or shouldn't have
an inst/ subdirectory, but from the help page the functionality
seems intentional to me.

- Niels