Hello, thanks for all your replies, it was a helpful lesson for me (and hopefully for my colleagues, too). Bests, Sören

On 11-01-07 11:23, David Winsemius wrote:

Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2011 11:23:04 -0500
From: David Winsemius <dwinsem...@comcast.net>
To: sovo0...@gmail.com
Cc: r-help@r-project.org
Subject: Re: [R] Different LLRs on multinomial logit models in R and SPSS

On Jan 7, 2011, at 8:26 AM, sovo0...@gmail.com wrote:

On Thu, 6 Jan 2011, David Winsemius wrote:

On Jan 6, 2011, at 11:23 AM, Sören Vogel wrote:

Thanks for your replies. I am no mathematician or statistician by far,
however, it appears to me that the actual value of any of the two LLs
is indeed important when it comes to calculation of
Pseudo-R-Squared-s. If Rnagel devides by (some transformation of) the
actiual value of llnull then any calculation of Rnagel should differ.
How come? Or is my function wrong? And if my function is right, how
can I calculate a R-Squared independent from the software used?

You have two models in that function, the null one with ".~ 1" and the origianl one and you are getting a ratio on the likelihood scale (which is a difference on the log-likelihood or deviance scale).

If this is the case, calculating 'fit' indices for those models must end up in different fit indices depending on software:

n <- 143
ll1 <- 135.02
ll2 <- 129.8
# Rcs
(Rcs <- 1 - exp( (ll2 - ll1) / n ))
# Rnagel
Rcs / (1 - exp(-ll1/n))
ll3 <- 204.2904
ll4 <- 199.0659
# Rcs
(Rcs <- 1 - exp( (ll4 - ll3) / n ))
# Rnagel
Rcs / (1 - exp(-ll3/n))

The Rcs' are equal, however, the Rnagel's are not. Of course, this is no question, but I am rather confused. When publishing results I am required to use fit indices and editors would complain that they differ.

It is well known that editors are sometimes confused about statistics, and if an editor is insistent on publishing indices that are in fact arbitrary then that is a problem. I would hope that the editor were open to education. (And often there is a statistical associate editor who will be more likely to have a solid grounding and to whom one can appeal in situations of initial obstinancy.) Perhaps you will be doing the world of science a favor by suggesting that said editor first review a first-year calculus text regarding the fact that indefinite integrals are only calculated up to a arbitrary constant and that one can only use the results in a practical setting by specifying the limits of integration. So it is with likelihoods. They are only meaningful when comparing two nested models. Sometimes the software obscures this fact, but it remains a statistical _fact_.

Whether you code is correct (and whether the Nagelkerke "R^2" remain invariant with respect to such transformations) I cannot say. (I suspect that it would be, but I have never liked the NagelR2 as a measure, and didn't really like R^2 as a measure in linear regression for that matter, either.) I focus on fitting functions to trends, examining predictions, and assessing confidence intervals for parameter estimates. The notion that model fit is well-summarized in a single number blinds one to other critical issues such as the linearity and monotonicity assumptions implicit in much of regression (mal-)practice.

So, if someone who is more enamored of (or even more knowledgeably scornful of) the Nagelkerke R^2 measure wants to take over here, I will read what they say with interest and appreciation.

Sören

David Winsemius, MD
West Hartford, CT

--