Hi:

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 10:10 PM, Byerly, Mike M (DFG) <
mike.bye...@alaska.gov> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have one question regarding dotplots and one question about the strip
> function in lattice.  In the following function I wish to use two
> different line types in a dotplot.  Specifying lty =c(1,2) does not
> work.  No matter what line type is specified, solid lines are produced.
> The other graphical parameters pch and col work, however.  How can I
> change the line types?
>
> Considering that your code below isn't capable of being run by others (no
referent data), it's a little difficult to answer that question.

> Regarding the strip function, If I have two conditioning variables like
> in the function below, how can I get only one strip to display (e.g.
> for just the first conditioning variable)?  Alternatively, for the
> function below, I have a 4 by 4 layout.  The second conditioning
> variable (Species) has four levels, each of which is repeated four times
> across each row.  Is there a way to display both strips but have the
> labels for the second conditioning variable displayed once and spread
> across all the shingles in a row?

If both Light and Species are factors, there is a function called
strip.combined() on p. 197 of the Lattice book, whose use is illustrated in
Figure 10.24 on p. 198.  See

http://lmdvr.r-forge.r-project.org/figures/figures.html

Look for the strip.combined() function that precedes the Figure 10.24 code
and the code for 10.24 itself. If you don't like the original, it should
give you some ideas how to create your own.

HTH,
Dennis