I have a map of Iowa of with 4000 locations.  At each location, I have a
cancer mortality rate.  I need to test my null hypothesis; that the spatial
distribution of the mortality rates is  random.  For this test, I need to
establish a spatial reference distribution.

My reference distribution will be created by some random relabelling
algorithm.  The 4000 locations would remain fixed, but the observed
mortality rates would be randomly redistributed.  Then, I want 1000
permutations of the same algorithm.  For each of those 1000 times, I would
record the redistributed mortality rate at each location.  Then,  I would
calculate the mean of the 1000 points.  The result would be a spatial
reference distribution with a mean value of the random permutations at each
of the 4000 locations.

Thanks for the response,
Kevin