I don't know the answer to your question, but I avoid these problems by saving
my data as csv and avoiding direct interaction with Excel files. Excel is NOT a
database, even though it has supposed support through ODBC. I find this holds
true regardless of the programming environment from which I try to access Excel.
DCN:<jdnew...@dcn.davis.ca.us> Basics: ##.#. ##.#. Live Go...
Live: OO#.. Dead: OO#.. Playing

Val <valkr...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi all, I am trying to read Excel file usingthe follwoing commnad
library(RODBC) data=odbcConnectExcel(file.choose()) sqlTables(data)
Bdat=sqlFetch(data, "test") odbcClose(data) head(Bdat) 1. The above script
works if the Excel file is opened. If the excel file is not opened then I get
the following message "External table is not in the expected format" and it
stops. 2. Instead of "(file.choose())" I wanted to use the following command
data <- read.table('G:/test.xlsx", header=T) But it did not work again. Warning
message: In read.table("G:/test.xlsx", header = T) : incomplete final line
found by readTableHeader on 'G:/test.xlsx' Did I miss something there? Your
help is highly appreciated Val   [[alternative HTML version