Peter thanks for the fantastically simple and understandable explanation...

To sum it up... to find the z values of a number of pairwise wilcox
tests do the following:

# pairwise tests with bonferroni correction
x <- pairwise.wilcox.test(a, b, alternative="two.sided",
p.adj="bonferroni", exact=F, paired=T)
# what is the data structure we got back
is.matrix(x$p.value)
# p vals
x$p.value
# z.scores for each