On May 4, 2011, at 15:11 , JP wrote:

> Peter thanks for the fantastically simple and understandable explanation...
>
> To sum it up... to find the z values of a number of pairwise wilcox
> tests do the following:
>
> # pairwise tests with bonferroni correction
> x <- pairwise.wilcox.test(a, b, alternative="two.sided",
> p.adj="bonferroni", exact=F, paired=T)

You probably don't want the bonferroni correction there. Rather p.adj="none".
You generally correct the p values for multiple testing, not the test
statistics.

(My sentiment would be to pick apart the stats:::wilcox.test.default function
and clone the computation of Z from it, but presumably backtracking from the p
value is a useful expedient.)

> # what is the data structure we got back
> is.matrix(x$p.value)
> # p vals
> x$p.value
> # z.scores for each
> z.score <- qnorm(x$p.value / 2)

Hmm, you're not actually getting a signed z out of this, you might want to try
alternative="greater" and drop the division by 2 inside qnorm(). (If the signs
come out inverted, I meant "less" not "greater"...)