On Wed, 2 Nov 2011, Bert Gunter wrote:

To make such a plot, I would have thought your want your data structure to
be:

Column A: Date
Column B; Chemical
Column C: Result

  Thanks, Bert. I have a data frame in that format.

After subsetting this to the chemicals you want or doing the subsetting in
your plot command, something like (base R)

boxplot(Result ~ Chemical, subset=yourdat$Chemical %in% c("Ca","Cl",
"Cond","Mg","Na","SO2","TDS"))

  Great! I'll work with this. I tend to use lattice so I can learn its
capabilities better.

Whether I'm correct or not in my understanding of your situation, an
important message is: you should choose your data structure to facilitate
the analysis that you have in mind. IMHO, this is one of R's great
strengths: it provides rich facilities for manipulating data tightly
integrated with plotting and analytical capabilities.

  I recognize this and continue to learn how best to represent the same data
for different analyses and plots.

Much appreciated,

Rich