Columns in data frames must all have the same number of elements. Your first
example attempts to violate that, because it works with a single column. The
second example works on the entire data frame, so it is able to lengthen the
other column to match.
DCN:<jdnew...@dcn.davis.ca.us> Basics: ##.#. ##.#. Live Go...
Live: OO#.. Dead: OO#.. Playing

Rebecca Hiller <hille...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hallo

Can anyone tell me the difference between

foo$a[2] <- 1 and foo[2,"a"] <- 1 ?

I thought that both expressions are equivalent, but when I run the following
example, there is obviously a difference.

> foo <- data.frame(a=NA,b=NA)
> foo
a b
1 NA NA
> foo$a[1] <- 1
> foo$b[1] <- 2
> foo$a[2] <- 1
Error in `$<-.data.frame`(`*tmp*`, "a", value = c(1, 1)) :
replacement has 2 rows, data has 1
> foo[2,"a"] <- 1
> foo
a b