Hi,
So far as I can tell, the 'col.ticks' parameter for axis() only uses the first value provided. E.g.:

 plot(0:1,0:1, col.ticks=c('blue','red','green'))  #all ticks are blue

Just wondering if there's a different option in the basic plot commands that can handle multiple colors, and also whether ggplot and/or lattice allow for multiple tick colors.

Background: I ran into this limit while trying to colorize the ticks as plotted by rug() . There's an easy workaround, as the output of rug() can be duplicated with something along the lines of

> points(mydata, rep(0.5, length(mydata)), col=rainbow(20)[mydata*20/max(mydata)] )

So I can create color rugplots, but do wonder about enhancements to the plot routines (albeit pretty silly enhancements).

As another side note: calling rug() with color set to '#00000033' lets you see dense regions as darker than sparse regions, without having to resort to calling jitter() first.

Carl

--

Sent from my Cray XK6
"Pendeo-navem mei anguillae plena est."