Dear list,

A follow up on this thread - the solution I ended up with does indeed
involve "parse()".
However, it does the job, and it is more efficient than what I came up with
in my other attempts.

suspicious.vowels <- function(data,factors,vowelcolumn,f1,f2) {

  for(currfac in c(factors,vowelcolumn,f1,f2)){
    if(!currfac %in% names(data)){
      stop("Factor '",currfac,"' does not exist in the data frame. Please
provide only valid column names.")
    }
  }
   # The dirty hack!
    facs <- paste(factors,collapse=",")
    mycall <-
paste("ddply(data,.(",facs,"),summarize,norms=vector.space(",f1,",",f2,")[[3]],angles=vector.space(",f2,",",f2,")[[4]])",sep="")
    nADatap <- parse(text=mycall)
    nAData <- eval(nADatap))
}

However, if anyone would like to weigh in with a more structured solution,
I would very much appreciate the opportunity to learn how this _should_
really be done.

/Fredrik

--
"Life is like a trumpet - if you don't put anything into it, you don't get
anything out of it."