There's no reason that the optimum cannot be at the bounds. Bounded problems
really do
sometimes have solutions on those bounds.

Compute the unconstrained gradient of your objective function at the bounds and
see if the
function is reduced when going across the bounds. The function here is assumed
to be the
neg. LL that one is MINIMIZING.

There are many aspects of R, optimization in particular, where it would help if
we
required an operator's license. It is not a magical spell that solves problems
automatically, but a tool much like a chainsaw that can as easily cut your arm
off as saw
a log.

JN