Hi Peter, searched old mail archive and found this topic had been discussed
before. The previous discussion was around a situation where there was a very
large sample size involved so even a small effect still showed up as
significant even with low R square of the model.

In my case, the sample size is 72, the significance of "group" effect is due to
large effect relative to its standard error:

obj<-lm(y~age+sex+school+group,dat)

summary(obj)

Coefficients:
              Estimate Std. Error t value Pr(>|t|)
(Intercept)   169.8634    13.4678  12.613   <2e-16
age            -0.3737     0.2762  -1.353   0.1805
sexM            2.1137     8.6585   0.244   0.8079
schoolS2        4.1711     8.1811   0.510   0.6118
groupG2      -20.8944    10.2807  -2.032   0.0461

Residual standard error: 32.13 on 67 degrees of freedom
Multiple R-squared: 0.1732,     Adjusted R-squared: 0.1238
F-statistic: 3.509 on 4 and 67 DF,  p-value: 0.01163

So R-squared is quite low (0.17), what's your opinion on the argument that the
significant coefficient for group is not trustworthy because the model variance
was not sufficiently accounted for, and if additional factors could be
identified and included in the model, that might changed the effect of group
from significant to insignificant.

Many thanks for sharing your thoughts.

John