On May 9, 2012, at 11:00 AM, Barry Rowlingson wrote:

>>> Someone said:
>
>>> Once R is accepted, you could ask for an RStudio test if you want.
>
> I had another thought shortly after my initial email. Suppose yes, R
> is accepted. Great. You run R.
>
> Then you think, "Oh, I need ggplot2" (yes you do). Do you then have
> to get security clearance for every package you want to download from
> CRAN?
>
> Barry

That will depend upon their internal procedures/policies.

Presuming that the initial hurdle for R itself is overcome, for third party
packages, whether from CRAN or elsewhere, Paul might see if the folks involved
in the review process would allow him to install these to a local private
folder tree, where it may be possible that security related concerns may be
more mitigated and provide more flexibility than if for a system-wide install.
In other words, see if there is some way to, in effect, sandbox the additional
components, that would be acceptable.

A quick review of the lengthy output that Paul provided in the original post
seems to suggest that the majority, if not all, of the registry related issues
are specific to R-Studio itself and not to R.

Third party packages, of course, may have additional code that can perform a
variety of activities (access/modify local system resources, access external
IP's, etc.), so it would not be a surprise to me that there may need to be a
package by package review and approval process.

Of course, the mere process of downloading and installing CRAN or other
packages means that access to external IP's would be required, which appear to
be part of the restrictions. It would be interesting to find out how updates
"over the net" are handled for the approved applications. Are these allowed or
are they controlled by a central authority?

So an internal discussion would be required to understand how R would fit
within the policy and procedure constraints in place. It is clear that despite
the subject heading for this thread, registry related issues are only a part of
the underlying "problem".

It would also be of value to know how other folks, operating in similar
'restricted' environments, either inside or outside the U.S., have overcome
these issues, so that Paul may learn from their experience. We do, for example,
get posts here now and then from folks with U.S. ".mil" domain e-mail
addresses. So there appear to be folks using R in such environments, unless
they are using R, but not on DOD owned systems.

Regards,

Marc