On Jul 25, 2012, at 8:50 AM, David L Carlson wrote:

We often refer requesters to the Posting Guide and chide them for not
reading it. Recently I had occasion to re-read the Posting Guide which is for all R lists not just R-help. The word "reproducible" does not appear anywhere in the guide. The closest it comes is the following suggestion:

"Sometimes it helps to provide a small example that someone can actually
run."

Recommendations to use the function dput() to provide sample data do not
appear in the guide.

The absence of dput from the PG is a bit surprisong, but an equivalent bit of advice does appear:

"When providing examples, it is best to give an R command that constructs the data, as in the matrix() expression above. For more complicated data structures, dump("x", file=stdout()) will print an expression that will recreate the object x. "

--
David.

The bottom of messages to R-help does contain the statement you've all seen, but I had assumed it summarized advice found elsewhere since first time
posters may not see the message until after they have posted.

self-contained, reproducible code."

The Mailing Lists page describes R-help but refers only to the posting guide
http://www.r-project.org/mail.html and does not include this advisory
statement.

The R-help Info Page also refers only to the posting guide
https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-help and does not include this
advisory statement.

I hesitate to sound too optimistic, but there might be some advantage in making the statement more prominent and adding a reproducible example using
dput().

David Winsemius, MD
Heritage Laboratories
West Hartford, CT