Dear Prof. John Fox,
thank you very much for your suggestions.
However, I still do not know how to use the contrasts after generating them.
Once I generate the matrix with the polynomial contrasts, what are the
following steps toward the statistical test?

A whole example would be very useful.

Thank you very much in advance!

Best regards,
Gian Mauro Manzoni