I am having problem making ggplot2, tikzDevice, and knitr working together.
I used a very simple example:
---------------------------example.Rnw-----------------------------
\documentclass[preview]{standalone}

\begin{document}

\begin{figure}
<<fig1,eval=TRUE,echo=FALSE,dev='tikz'>>=
library(ggplot2)
qplot(displ, hwy, data = mpg, colour = factor(cyl))
@
\end{figure}

\end{document}
I got "... !  ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!
label: fig1 (with options)