All right. I did some more digging. It turns out that the real problem is
that the version of the "standalone" LaTeX package installed on my Debian
system is 1.1a. The easiest fix is to replace the three files
"standalone.cfg", "standalone.cls", and "standalone.sty" with the most
recent version from CTAN, which is 1.1b. Now I use
"\documentclass[preview]{standalone}" in my Rnw file to get the desired
results.