Hi Jake,

are you looking for argument "panel.first" of "plot.default"?
?plot.default

panel.first: an expression to be evaluated after the plot axes are set
         up but before any plotting takes place.  This can be useful
         for drawing background grids or scatterplot smooths.

hth,
Matthias

Jake Michaelson wrote:
Hi all,

I would like to be able to call a custom function automatically before
plot.new() is called (more specifically, before a new plot is created on the
current graphics device).  Recently I've been poking around in the help
files of some of the low(er) level plotting functions, and I seem to
remember something saying that you could somehow add a setting to call a
function immediately before plot.new() is called (something kind of in the
spirit of .First).  I've been looking everywhere, and I can't find the
documentation I'm thinking of, which makes me wonder if I'm just making all
this up.

Can this be done?

Thanks,

Jake