Thanks Matthias and Gabor.  You're both right.  Matthias, I think that *was*
what I read although now I realize that Gabor's suggestion is more along the
lines of what I want to do.  Though I have found one situation where this
wouldn't really work properly:

par(mfrow=c(2,2))
plot(rnorm(10))
plot(rnorm(10))
plot(rnorm(10))
plot.new()

Now my goal is actually to *only* call this custom function before the
entire device is cleared for a new plot or set of plots.  Since the above
example plots multiple times in the same window, the function would be
called each time, when really I just want it called once, right before the
device window is cleared for another plot.

Is there a way to do this or is this asking too much of R?

Thanks,

Jake