On 27.12.2012 08:09, Heramb Gadgil wrote:
eval(parse(text=paste0("cvtest$",lambda.rule)))

No, never ever!

There is an R idiom made for it:

cvtest[[lambda.rule]]

Uwe Ligges

I hope this works.

On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 12:57 AM, Thomas Stewart
<tgs.public.m...@gmail.com>wrote:

Soyeon-

A possible solution:

get(lambda.rule,envir=list2env(cvtest))

On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 12:34 PM, Soyeon Kim <yunni0...@gmail.com> wrote:

Dear my R friends,

I want to get a number from a list using paste function.
In my example,
lambda.rule <- "lambda.1se"
cvtest is a list (result from cv.glmnet)
and
cvtest$lambda.1se
[1] 1.308973

I want to call the value using paste function.
I used get function but there was an error.
test <-  get(paste("cvtest$",lambda.rule, sep=""))
Error in get(paste("cvtest$", lambda.rule, sep = "")) :
   object 'cvtest$lambda.1se' not found

Do you guys know how to solve this issue?

Thank you so much in advance and merry Christmas!

Soyeon