There is also another fortune:

> fortune('toad')

The problem here is that the $ notation is a magical shortcut and like any
other magic if used incorrectly is likely to do the programmatic equivalent
of
turning yourself into a toad.
   -- Greg Snow (in response to a user that wanted to access a column whose
      name is stored in y via x$y rather than x[[y]])
      R-help (February 2012)

Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
538...@gmail.com