And if you would like to be able to read the crowded axis:

boxplot(count ~ spray, data = InsectSprays, col = "lightgray", yaxt='n')
library(plotrix)
staxlab(2, at=seq(0,25,1),cex=0.8)

Jim

On 03/29/2013 08:36 PM, Pascal Oettli wrote:
Hi,

Example adapted from ?boxplot

par(las=1, mfrow=c(2,1))
boxplot(count ~ spray, data = InsectSprays, col = "lightgray", yaxt='n')
axis(2, at=seq(0,25,2.5))
boxplot(count ~ spray, data = InsectSprays, col = "lightgray", yaxt='n')
axis(2, at=seq(0,25,1))

HTH,
Pascal