The offset(x) term means to include x (or whatever is in the parentheses)
into the model as is, without computing a slope for that term.  You could
also include offset( 1 * x ) instead which might make this a bit more
explicit (but would not actually make any difference).  Since x by itself
is also in the model with a computed slope that slope will measure the
difference from 1.  So the model is fitting y = b0 + b1 * x + 1 * x + e
with b0 and b1 being computed, if we factor that then it is y = b0 + (b1 +
1) * x + e, so the estimate of b1 is how much the overall slope of x
differs from 1 and the standard test on b1 now does what you want.

Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
538...@gmail.com