I am using some r scripts to reformat a large data set that needs to be
saved into xls format.

I am getting   the  “Out of Memory Error (Java)” despite having set a large
memory in the first line of the script ( on opening R and before loading
any libraries)

I am using R version 2.15.2 (2012-10-26) -- "Trick or Treat"
Platform: x86_64-w64-mingw32/x64 (64-bit)

On 64 Bit window 7 machine with 12G of ram.

When I run the script to increase memory for jvm it is not increasing the
memory but remaining at 244MB ( presumably the remainder of the initial
256mb once JVM is loaded...

the script and out put is as follows

> rm(list = ls())
> options(java.parameters = "-Xmx4096m",stringsAsFactors=F)
> library(XLConnect)
XLConnect 0.2-3 by Mirai Solutions GmbH
http://www.mirai-solutions.com ,
http://miraisolutions.wordpress.com
> print(xlcMemoryReport())
Amount of free memory in the Java Virtual Machine (JVM):  244.0936 MB

How do I increase the memory?

thanks