the

> rm(list = ls())

at the top of your snippet makes me wonder if you had loaded any packages
(like XLConnect) that use Java in a previous part of the session?  i
believe you must designate the ram allocation for java prior to loading any
java-related packages, and clearing out your objects will not act as a
reset..

i'm also not sure if the memory report shows what's currently allocated or
the actual maximum..  i've had success with increasing the allocation on
windows in the past, even though the initial memory report said only
~120mb.  be sure to execute the xlcFreeMemory() command after any big
runs-- it's the java-equivalent of gc()

also you should be able to use
options( java.parameters = "-Xmx4g" )
unless you love multiplying by 1024  :)